Thursday, November 20, 2008

Why Why Why??? says Case

Everyone knows that kids get to a certain age and they begin to wonder about the world around them. Part of that wondering comes in the form of the infamous "why" questions. Case is in that phase and often times surprises me with the deepness or complex nature of his questions. Well, tonight, the kids and I were returning home from a quick trip to Toys-r-us so we could scope out some of their favorite toys for Santa. On the car ride home, we were listening to "Walking in a winter wonderland." After the song was over, Case began his barrage of questions. It went something like this.
Case: What is a winter wonderland?
Mom: It is a place filled with snow and christmas decorations and Santa Claus, and all the other things having to do with Christmas, kind of like at Bass Pro Shop when we went to see Santa (Lame explanation, I know, but I couldn't think of a simple explanation)
Case: Why does Santa give us presents?
Mom: (I paused for just a brief moment, and before I could respond, he asked the bomb shell question)
Case: Why did Jesus make Santa?
Mom: (Thinking to myself.....what the crap? Where did that come from?....
How am I going to answer that one? .................Uhmm....Thinking.....
Nothing coming.........)
Case: I know! He was born as a baby, then he grew up and decided he wanted to be Santa Claus.

OKAY then. Whew, not even close to the kind of answer I was thinking he wanted. Boy did I get lucky on that one. He asks the funniest questions about Jesus. Like, Why did Jesus make food? Why did Jesus build the roads? Why did Jesus make our house? Most of these questions I can explain by saying that these things are made by people. Jesus made the earth and everything living on it like people, animals and plants, and people take these things on the earth and build what they need. It may be a little complex, but he gets it. He is a bright child.

3 comments:

Betsy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Betsy said...

Whoops here I go again with my comment. What a smart boy!! It doesn't surprise me considering how smart you are. I'll bet one day his friends will be carring his math book home like I did yours. Look at you blogging like crazy. I love seeing what your up to. It's great!!

Lisa Langford said...

what are you talking about? You never carried home my math books. Did you?